Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 7, 2011

Well Chilecito is quite a sight. We ran one morning (I know, weird huh) to the huge Christ statue, and had a rocky moment as we ran up the steps. Its pretty intense, especially as the sun came up and illuminated the city. I will be taking pictures or sending you some from my comps camera. hahaha.

Its a small town, but still quite large at the same time. Still no camera, but we have Zone Conference in Catamarca this week (thats a completely different province) Its about 5 hours for us to get there, because we are about 3 hours from the state capital, and then its about 2 to 3 from there to Catamarca´s capital. The missionaries are mostly in the capital cities or large ones like them, the little tiny towns dont hardly get touched. So I got to know my comp a little bit better, and we get along great. He studied, and had almost finished his degree as an electrical mechanic, and is just a very chill kind of guy.

This week I met one of those really cool converts that got baptized a little while back. His name is Osvaldo Sanchez. He is about 70 something, and he is an absolute riot. He loves history and tells you about it. He has family that lives in Florida in the states, and really wants to go and live with them some day. Hes actually pretty close to leaving. He is trying to sell his house which he has built and modified and added on to, to his own taste. He was giving us a tour, and he showed me a picture of his granddaughter in the states. It was funny cuz he is the typical grandpa thing, and talked about how great she was. I said as an off the cuff remark, "hmm sounds like a cool girl." He took it a lot more seriously. He is going to be talking to his family and tell his granddaughter that one of his missionary friends is interested in meeting her. =P oh boy. *rolls eyes*

Well then I started finding out more about the branch. Its kind of had its ups and downs. Its been through some rough elders, and some really good ones. The unfortunate thing is that the good ones, become these ridiculous god-like personages and the members here forget why they really go to church. Its not for the missionaries. You dont know how much it makes me just shudder to think that there are people who were more converted to the missionaries, than to the Gospel. The problems happen because the elders go, or the members get offended, or someone looked at them wrong, or there is that crazy overzealous pharisee of a member (or elder) that called someone to repentance in an inappropriate manner... the list goes on, we have all heard them. I am gonna work with them on that. Its the same old story though, just with less people so everyone knows it. I really like the talk by Elder Andersen from last conference, about choosing to not be ashamed or offended by the church or the members. Look it up. its a great one. =)

Yeah thats about it for this week. This next week I have a lot more to do and a lot better way to do it. Oh I forgot to mention, that in La Rioja we study during the siesta.

Alright, I am keeping track of things now. and now its just small town, and far away so we charge you out the wazoo for most stuff. I can handle it. I will let you know if there are any problems, but they are not forseen.

Alrighty thats about it. Love you all!
Con amor
Elder Ben

No comments: