Monday, May 30, 2011

May 23, 2011

Yeah Elders have bigger stomachs. That's exactly it. Its also the wonderful economic situation of the country that has changed significantly since they last changed it 2 years ago. Yeah that's for sure, not gonna need a haircut. I am just barely gonna be able to start combing it. Besides I asked for it for a specific purpose for something that you cant put in for half of your allowance, to have a backpack. I got it out, and yeah I found a better deal on it, here in Rio Cuarto where I got transferred to.

That's right I am now in the opposite side of the mission. 10 hours in a bus from midnight, to 12 in the afternoon. with maybe an hour and a half in the terminal in cordoba. Ridiculous. But I am here in my new area. Its called Bimaco, and I am here replacing my MTC comp Elder Jensen. My comp is Elder Monzon, hes from Peru. Seems like he will be a fun elder to work with. They have been working hard here and its looking like I will be a bit more successful here. Chilecito was a good area, it was pretty, it was fun, had great people, but I just couldn't get anywhere there. Well I did, but it was more in learning how to be like Christ (IE Patience etc) Like now I only get a little frustrated with things that are difficult over a long period of time. hahaha I´m gonna see how long that lasts. This week we played basketball, and I actually played well. I´m not sure if I told you before but every P-day we played basketball because we were 4 english speaking states/canada side of life, and wanted to play something else. Its really fun, once you figure out how to use your body and play the game meant for tall guys. I was getting stuffed all over the place by these two elders who were shorter than me. But they taught me to get my hands up and hold on to the ball and how to shoot. I was not coordinated nor am I now, but I am kinda getting a little bit of how to play sports. Its fun. I like it. I was actually prety accurate from below and away from the basket. Thats right I´m not as much of a hazard as I thought. Except for when my teammate ran into my elbow with his eye. Awkward. Then I tripped him on accident and he almost twisted his ankle... So no I am not coordinated but I am learning how to play basketball. On tuesday I had a ton of plans with my comp, we were going to have an amazing day. All of our plans fell through. Everything. We ended up finding a single person, because we knocked almost every house in the area. Wednesday we went to La Rioja for an asado and a Zone Meeting. We got there way too early so I sat down to study, even though I just wanted to sleep. I had a really cool moment. I was sitting there going over my old notes and just thinking about all the things that have happened here in the mission and what it is that I am doing different from before and why I wasnt having what in my eyes was success. So I looked at things and realized that yeah, I have changed. ALOT. the things that were important before arent as important. I still like movies and music and all that but I have changed my attitude about what kind of things I want to listen and watch and do. I want to really figure out how everything works. I have an ability to observe and discern so why not apply that. I have been doing a lot of thinking on the whole, whats gonna happen after all this is over. What can I get out of this last 6 months that I can use and apply in the world. Its a lot of interesting thoughts. So that was just that hour. then we had a kind of fun little asado and we left to go home again. other than that the week kind went the same. On thursday Elder Gallacci and I finally clicked and we were able to get the motor running. I felt way good about things and then I got the transfers.

Oh and Saturday I baptized. not an investigator of mine, but from the other elders. She picked me to baptize her, and I just thought it was so cool and felt honored to do it. She was nervous and was laughing almost the whole time. Silvia is the sister of another recent convert who didnt believe that her sister had changed so quickly in just 3 weeks. So she came to a few lessons and listened and accepted a fecha and now is a member. Imagine that. Well I baptized her and now she is going to be a good faithful member.

So far no real fun stories aside from having canned peas and carrots for dessert last week. We ate pizza with Oswaldo. He shaved his head because he felt bad for my haircut. So we ate pìzza it was amazing and we got ready to leave. He says oh I have dessert for you guys. Ok cool. So he goes out and gets... Canned Mixed Veggies. Elder Gallacci got a look of horror (not a big fan of the veggies i guess) and I just thought to myself, "here we go again" So he serves it up and goes "oh how stupid I am thats not fruit salad thats veggie salad." hmmm well lets put some cheese on it. and then Elder Alvarado says jokingly Put some sugar on it. its dessert after all. So he does. It was so gross, but I didnt put sugar on it and ate all my peas and carrots and white chunks of some kind.

I think that I will use your example of popcorn. Its cool and we can use it with Less actives as a fun FHE. Its true everyone has to go to church. Elder Anderson back when he came to Cordoba prophesied something (or at least was communicating something from the Prophet to us) that the world will cease to believe in Jesus Christ, even among our church, but we will have a stronger faith because of the Book of Mormon. When we read and use the Book of Mormon we "get closer" to God and really learn about our Savior. He loves us and wants us to believe and because we believe repent and be baptized (weekly) and receive the Holy Ghost (weekly) I´m not saying that the font has to be filled up every week to baptized every member every week. I am talking about the sacrament. Its a renovation of our covenants with our Heavenly Father, who loves us and gives us a WEEKLY opportunity to be clean and to have His Spirit and to remember His Son. Theres nothing better. As Elder Oaks said a little while ago. The sacrament is the most SACRED meeting, the the church. Its a literal cleansing and communion with our Heavenly Father promising Him that we will try harder the next week to be more like Him and His Son. I know that its really hard to wake up. I am pretty sure everyone knows that, but they never do anything to help themselves. Get a new alarm clock. Make the decision the night before, get to bed on time, have your clothes ready, and pray for extra strength the day and night before Sunday to be able to go. Its the most sacred meeting we have, therefore we should WANT to go. I love this work and I love my Heavenly Father who has provided a Plan, His Gospel, and His Son for us. Its the Good News that keeps us going in our lives and it has been restored because a 14 year old boy asked God what he should do. Thanks to him we can be clean each week and perfect ourselves through the restored church of Jesus Christ. *End spontaneous testimony*

Yeah thats what goes on here in the mission. Weird food. But anyways I am really tired. Its hard to sleep on buses. So I am gonna go clean my pension, cuz its disgusting and try and get some siesta shut eye.

Love you
Elder Ben Ludlow

PS still... saving money is hard, working on it and will be for some time

No comments: